News‎ > ‎

Huge Boost for the Bearna-Furbo area as €98,000 in Leader funding secured to build a Playground

posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:18 AM by Mark McDonagh
The communities of Barna-Furbo have received a tremendous financial boost with the announcement that Comhar na nOileán Teo., a LEADER  Partnership Company, has allocated €98,000 of Leader funding to build a community playground for Bearna-Furbo.  In total, approximately €132,000 is required to build the playground in Barna village, with 75 per cent of this provided by the Leader programme and the remaining 25 per cent of the cost of the project to be match-funded by the local community. Clós Súgartha Bhearna-Na Forbacha Playground, the local organisation working on the project, has already raised €29,000 for the project and has approximately €5,000 left to fundraise. It is hoped to begin the building phase of the project in the next 2 months and the playground should be ready by the summer, just in time for the school holidays. The contractor will be The Crawford Group who have already designed and built a number of award-winning playgrounds including Kilmore Quay, Co. Wexford and St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin, one of the largest playgrounds in Europe.
 
Commenting on the announcement, chairperson of Clós Súgartha Bearna Furbo Playground project Tracee O’Loughlin said; “Our committee is absolutely delighted with this fantastic news that this much needed playground can now proceed which will bring such enjoyment and great play value to the young children and families of our communities.  Barna and Furbo have a number of schools and crèches and with so many young children and parents new to the area, it will be wonderful for them to have a focal point to meet and relax and where their kids can have fun playing on state-of the art play equipment which also caters for special needs. And for many kids, these play facilities will be just around the corner from them and they will no longer have to travel by car to other areas of Galway to access play facilities.”

She continued; “This playground is the culmination of four years hard work by our dedicated local committee, who overcame a number of significant hurdles to get the project to this stage including the sourcing of suitable land and obtaining full planning permission. We would like to thank Barna Co-Op who worked closely with us on this project and to who gave us their support for building a playground at its Multi Use Games Area (the tennis courts) in Barna, just a short walk from Barna village. We would also like to thank Architect Sean Dockry  of Sean Dockry & Associates for his excellent contribution to the project and assistance with the planning process.”

Secretary of Barna Furbo Playground Shauna Cunningham said; “It’s heart-warming to see a community really working together and local support has been excellent for this project enabling us to fundraise 29,000 euro in a very short time through our highly popular charity Pop-up shop ‘The Nearly New Shop’ and we’ve also had tremendous support from the many local businesses and clubs who gave us financial contributions. We still need to raise approximately 5,000 euro and we would encourage the community to get behind this final stage of the project by supporting The Nearly New Shop and our upcoming Cash for Clobber campaign. Any individuals or businesses who would like to donate to the project can do so by contacting Tracee O’Loughlin on 086 202 8824 or Shauna Cunningham on 085 8607674.
Opening hours for The Nearly New Shop (beside Mulberrys’ Restaurant in Barna village centre): Mon– Fri 9:30am- 1:00pm; Saturday 10:00am – 4:00pm. For further information on the project, please visit our website; www.bearnafurboplayground.com
 
About Bearna Furbo Playground Group  
Clós Súgartha Bhearna-Na Forbacha Playground committee was established in 2010 by a group of mothers and families living in the Bearna/Furbo parish whose aim is to build a playground in Bearna village centre to provide play facilities for young children in the area. The committee members are Tracee O’Loughlin, Shauna Cunningham, Rachel Fahy, Rachel Crawford, Ciara Bradley, Natasha Coffey, Marilyn Reddan, Stephanie Conneely, Dearbhla Geraghty and Janet Connolly.
                     
For further press information, please contact;
Shauna Cunningham
Secretary: Bearna-Furbo Playground project
Comments